Here's what we've been doing this week:
Starting on Wednesday, all of the kindergarten children have been coming together. The day in which only 4 or 5 children came, I was able to check what every child could do with the numbers and the alphabet. This will help me guide the children toward activities that will help them improve their skills.
On Wednesday the children had fun making new friends and learning how to interact with a large group of children. Children were rolling and molding the play dough, creating things with paper, scissors, and markers, building with the blocks, and putting on puppet shows. During the group time as well as the individual work time, Mrs. Brown and I have been teaching the children some of our basic rules in class:
1) When working on the floor, your game should have a large rug under it.
2) When you are finished with your activity it should be put back on the shelf. If you used a rug, the rug should be rolled up and put back in the box.
3) One girl or one boy at a time in the bathroom.
4) Put your name tag in the pocket next to where you are working.
5) If Mr. Shivers or Mrs. Brown rings the bell: freeze, look at the teacher, and listen.
6) If you are sitting on the circle and you want to say something, make sure that you are quiet with your legs crossed, then raise your hand.
Please try to go over these rules with your child at home. It will take the children a week or two before they start following most of the rules. We will keep reinforcing them at school as you do at home.
Return to Mr. Shivers Kindergarten Page.